Emilee...

7.01.2010

Two years ago, my dear friend Emilee was diagnosed with a brain tumor... On Sunday morning, at 5 am, surrounded by her parents and her husband of less than three years, Nick, Emilee lost her battle... She will be greatly missed...

Em and I were instant friends... We met during our Frosh Week at Conrad Grebel College back in September of 1998... I was naturally drawn to Emilee... She was full of life, wit and joy... Our busy lives (she was an architecture student) often kept us apart... In our first year, we kept in touch through a series of notes left in one another's rooms... As we moved apart, we scheduled regular coffee and dessert dates... Em and I could go months without seeing one another and when the time finally arrived, we could pick up our quick banter like no time at all had passed... She was one of my constants in the midst of a rather transient life...
Emilee and I at the Conrad Grebel End of Term Banquet, December 1998

When Jay and I got married in May 2003, Emilee graciously took the candid pictures at our wedding... She did an incredible job and the memories that she recorded for us will be something we will treasure for the rest of our lives...

Emilee at my Wedding, May 2003

Emilee and I at my Wedding, May 2003

Emilee and I spent hours talking about who we would marry someday... I was thrilled when she finally found the man of her dreams, Nick, who she married in July 2007... He was just perfect for her in every way... It was a joy to see the love they had for one another...
Emilee and I at her Wedding, July 2007

I have spent hours thinking of Emilee this week... Remembering her voice... Her laughter... Her curly black hair... Her smile... She was generous... She was vibrant... She was thoughtful... She was loved... My prayers are with her friends and family today as we all say good-bye...

Her death has reminded me of the brevity of life... Of our need, ALL of us, for Christ...

I am thankful for Emilee's life... Thankful that I got to be a small part of it... And thankful that I knew her... When Emilee held Brennah for the first time, I said to her, "If Brennah turns out anything like you, I will be more than happy." Good-bye Em... I will always love and miss you...

** Sorry about the quality of the first three photos... They were all taken in the days before digital (Remember those days) and therefore had to be scanned! **

12 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes. She sounded like a dynamic woman and lovely friend. I am so sorry for your loss. My prayers go out to her family and all those who knew her. May the memories you have of her bring a smile to your heart in the hopes of one day seeing her again. May those around you, love and comfort you at this time. ::hug::

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for the loss of your great friend. Keep her memory alive, for then, she will be with you always.

    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post and tribute to your dear friend. So sorry for your loss and thinking of you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear of your loss Rebecca. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry...
    I send you love and hugs from Sweden,
    / Annaleena

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear about your sweet friend. My heart breaks for you and her family. With great friends like you, her memory will live on.

    All the best,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful tribute to your friend. In the pictures, you two look so alike I thought you were sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am deeply sorry about your loss..I hope you will be strong, she will always be in your heart, you are lucky to have found a so valuable friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becky,
    I'm so sorry that you have lost a dear friend. Never are there words to describe such sadness, but God does bless us with words of love, joy, and fond memories that can be shared. You have done a lovely job of that here, honoring her life.
    Said a prayer for all of you.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am sorry for your loss.

    xo mandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. that was such a lovely tribute to her Becky. thanks.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails